Love Bug Hacker as Hero

Reese reeza at flex.com
Fri May 12 19:59:55 PDT 2000

At 05:24 PM 12/05/00 EDT, Carl Remick wrote:
>"People are so strange. Everybody is deranged. Every time I try to speak,
>they don't get it for a week." (Lyrics from Philippine punk group
>Eraserheads, cited in the Wall Street Journal as one of Love Bug hacker Onel
>de Guzman's favorite groups.)
>
>I'm surprised de Guzman hasn't received any discussion on this list as some
>sort of populist hero.

Some sort of discussion, anyway,,,

>He claims he developed the virus as a thesis
>project, of all things, and that it was intended to give the poor free
>access to the Web. At the very least, he deserves credit, IMHO, for
>revealing the soft underbelly of the Web, which is now so central to global
>capitalism.

Sorry. Revealing once again, the soft underbelly of the Windows operating system and the exploitability of Outlook/Outlook Express. Got the auto-open of attachments and auto-add of email addresses turned off, all you Outlook/OE users?

Mac and Linux users were unaffected, as were Windows users who did not use Outlook. Some overlap between Outlook/OE and other questionably braindeads who use mIRC.

Reese