Clintonoids Serve Up Mud Pie Analysis

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 17 11:41:50 PDT 2000

Andrew English wrote:

>I think the issue is more the composition of the workforce rather than
>the level of unemployment. Without trade liberalization of the last few
>years, more of the working class
>would still be higher-wage, more unionized manufacturing sectors and less of
>it in the low-wage, mostly non-union
>private service sectors (retail, etc).

But the average real hourly wage has risen - and not just the average, but across the entire distribution, for both men & women. This looks like a reversal of the 1973-95 slide, and reflects changes in composition. The black unemployment rate is at a record low; ditto the black poverty rate. I think the case that NAFTA damaged the U.S. working class isn't as easy to make as people seem to think.

Doug