Dolan responds to his critics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 20 14:11:40 PDT 2000

[from another list - Mike Dolan responds to those who've criticized him for buddying up to assorted creeps like Buchanan]

From: "Michael Dolan" <mdolan at citizen.org> Date sent: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:30:21 -0400

Enough already!

This is an important piece of writing. Reasonable minds will come to different conclusions about implied prospective strategies in our shared struggle against corporate globalization. But I must object to the continued mischaracterization of my role and my political sentiments:

1) I was NOT the "chief organizer of the Seattle mobilization." Many progressive and radical activists contributed to our historic success at the WTO Ministerial.

2) It is NOT TRUE that I am "enthusiastically endorsing Right-Wing politician Pat Buchanon [sic]." At the time I wrote that Email, over a year ago, to challenge the liberal Democrats to abandon their slavish devotion to so-called "free trade," there was no other presidential candidate who was standing up with workers in this country to oppose the corporate agenda. Now, I observe, Ralph Nader is seeking the Green Party nomination; and the anti-globalization movement has no more articulate nor progressive champion in this country than Ralph. Mind you, as an NGO guy, I am not permitted to _endorse_ one way or another. But I completely acknowledge Pat Buchanan's abhorrent right-wing views across a spectrum of issues. I wish I had never posted the Email; and I further wish De Fabel would give me a break.

3) I do not endeavor to marginalize anyone's tactics. We have many arrows in our progressive anti-corporate quiver, as we demonstrated in Seattle.

In solidarity and stuff, Mike Dolan Deputy Director Public Citizen's Global Trade Watch