The Paterson quote on interest

John K. Taber jktaber at dhc.net
Mon May 22 18:20:47 PDT 2000

Michael Perelman <michael at ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote: < Thanks to Bill Fancher and Michael Pollak for their help with the citation. I first read into the quote in a book called The Gift -- not the one by Mauss - -- in a section discussing Ezra Pound. Later, I saw the Quigley citation, that could not find in the writings of William Paterson. Now I know why.

But there's a timing problem here. Terrell cites "Personal experiences and memories of Pound"; Christopher Hollis, _The Two Nations_, London, 1935.

1935 is earlier than Quigley's book, I thought I saw 1941.

Apparently, Terrell doesn't mean Hollis is the source of the quote, but is Terrell's source explaining the quote Pound uses. Terrell says Hollis quotes practically the same words on pg 30 of the Hollis paper.

Pound could not have gotten it from Quigley's book because of timing; maybe he knew him personally? Perhaps Pound got it from some other source as yet not tracked down.

Maybe the Pound email list can help:

Ezra Pound Discussion List

To join this mailing list, send the one-line message

"SUBSCRIBE EPOUND-L Yourfirstname Yourlastname" to the

address LISTSERV at Maine.Maine.Edu leaving the subject line blank.

I'm fascinated that the quote appears to be spurious.

-- John K. Taber