Arpanet: was 'The Web was invented by the British but exported to the US... We don't want that to happen again.'

Nathan Newman nathan.newman at yale.edu
Thu May 25 05:59:41 PDT 2000

re: military interest in network to protect its systems from nuclear attack

> Where Wizards Stay Up Late claims that this had nothing to do with
> Arpanet. Is there anything to that position?

It didn't have anything to do directly with why ARPANET was set up, since the focus of ARPA was networking its research institutions, but the RAND/military research on packet switching by Paul Baran contributed ideas and legitimacy to the approach. The military just did not get its act together to put the network together until much later. -- Nathan