Gallup on China bill

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue May 23 11:55:03 PDT 2000

>Younger Americans seem to be most optimistic about the possibilities
>of increased trade with China. Fifty-nine percent of Americans aged
>18 to 29 believe that the U.S. economy will benefit, which is at
>least ten percentage points higher than any other age group. Younger
>Americans are also slightly more likely to think that increased trade
>will help U.S. workers -- 34% believe this, a greater percentage than
>any other age group.

It does not surprise me - college students and graduates nowadays tend to be the "brown battalions" of the neoliberal revolution. Some time ago I posted an argument on the NYT discussion board that computer operating systems, like roads or airports, are examples of public goods, subject to market failures, and thus in need of being provided by public agencies, which is the standard neoclassical tripe. In reply, someone wrote and I quote "market failure is a fallacy, markets never fail" and then posted a long diatribe how governments constrain individual creativity. Not even a shred of a logical argument, just a blind and ardent belief in the infallibility of the market. I recall having a similar exchange on the same forum in the aftermath of Seattle. But then, what else could one expect from the rag that brought us Thomas L. Friedman.

wojtek