[Fwd: [BRC-MUMIA] My Son in Florida is going down for the count]

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed May 24 06:06:33 PDT 2000

One might give this post a subtitle of "Zero Tolerance in Action"

Carrol

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [BRC-MUMIA] My Son in Florida is going down for the count Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 07:43:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Shavsha M <shavsha at hotmail.com> To: editor at sfbayview.com, brc-mumia at egroups.com, klee at vitel.tzo.com,jvw at together.net, ccadp at home.com, brc-mumia-owner at egroups.com

Mary and Mumia Group,

My intentions this morning are to contact my brothers and sisters for prayer for my son. I was taken aback when i recieved the email below concerning Florida Corrections.

In fact, I received a call from my son last night in the worst shape i have yet to see him in since his incarceration began in Nov. of 1995. My son has been the "model" prisoner (if one dare claim such a thing) and has only once gotten a Disciplinary Report concerning his conduct. That resulted from the first week of his arrival at DeSoto Correctional Institution and his return from lunch to find all of his possessions gone...stolen. Putting it bluntly, he Tripped......and was confined for a few days.

Since then, his progress reports have have consistantly come in as "Above Satisfactory"....until this week that is. 3 months aog, he was informed that due to a "report" by a CO back in November of 1999, indicating that his bed was not properly made (resulting in a verbal warning), Eric was informed that it would be another 18 months at least before he would be allowed a "good behavior" transfer. In addition he was put into a trumped up "program" called the Team Program that is operated by a Sargent Morris. This program in certainly not a program and as indicated on the website, DeSoto CI offers NO vocational or other education at all.

The Team Program has become a horror story. There is no benefit nor purpose to its existance. Morris is sadistic at best and has now singled out my son due to a letter I wrote questioning my son's placement into this "program." Relatiation has begun. My son has been forced to run a track, with Morris instant on completion under 6 minutes. My son has asthma and has suffered from it since infancy. The Institution's doctor told Morris not to make my son do this but Morris has chosen to ignore the order. Instead he called my son over and asked him about the asthma. My son took out his inhaler and placed it on the table for Morris' inspection......Morris responded by taking out his mace, placing it on the table beside the inhaler and baiting with, "And? And?, And?"......

I might be able to ignore this antic except that a couple of weeks ago this man approached another Black inmate and called him faggot and mother fucker (you see, as Executive Director of TRIPP I have more than one contact inside this prison and all the stories were the same)....the inmate asked Morris not to disrespect him like this and in answer to the inmate's request Morris told him to put his hands behind is back, that he was being arrested for "not following orders".....the inmate attempted to talk to Morris but Morris was insistant that the inmate put his hands behind his back. When the inmate complied, Morris pulled out the mace and maced the inmate. Then inmate ran screaming. Morris ran after him as did another CO. The other CO calmly told the inmate that if he would do as ordered this CO would have his back. The inmate again complied and again Morris came running with the mace....this time the inmate ducked and Morris maced two officers instead. The officers were taken to medical, the inmate locked up, the camp in shock.

Now this same Morris has singled out my son. Calls him faggot, tells Eric that he is in "love" with him, calls him out of line when others are talking to interagate my son. Should I say that I am worried?

Yesterday, Eric called. I've never heard him so upset. In all the years of "above satisfactory" "grades".....Morris, we believe in direct retaliation for the letter i wrote (believe me, I kept that letter up and positive in an effort to not make this happen).....told my son, who now had 10 days left of this "program" that he had a "satisfactory" grade, took 8 days of gain time, and informed eric that he will be spending another 3 months in the program.......with Morris.

My son is crashing. I've never seen this in him. MOrris is breaking him and now I fear from my son's life. Today I call Linda Williams, the warden and will again, with more force, stress my concerns and attempt to insist Eric be moved from the program and/or the facility......year right, wish me luck.

Thank you for listening........as a mother, even one who is running a ministry that directly addresses the disparity issues in the Just Us system......this sort of "news" is depressing at least more like distressing.

My name is Elayna Monts. I am the executive director of The Real Illumination on the Prison Population (TRIPP)www.geocities.com/tripporg I moved from Florida, where my son is incarcerated, to Atlanta with hopes of exposing this issue and others like it. We have 250 cases of erroneously incarcerated and/or excessively sentenced inmates who have joined this choir to form a single voice of despair.........we will be heard censor or not......and it's because we're vexed......

Elayna Monts

>From: "Mary Ratcliff" <editor at sfbayview.com>
>To: "Kay Lee" <klee at vitel.tzo.com>, "Elayna Monts" <shavsha at hotmail.com>,
> "John V. Wilmerding" <jvw at together.net>
>Subject: Fw: [BRC-MUMIA] READY FOR REVOLUTION... You folks in Florida...
>UNITE... & hope you don't have to be vexed by a censor
>Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 16:48:33 -0700

------------------------------------------------------------------------ FREE shipping, 30-Day No Question Returns, daily giveaways and much, much more at zZounds.com. Your music gear superstore! http://click.egroups.com/1/3736/0/_/20091/_/959168623/ ------------------------------------------------------------------------

BRC-MUMIA: Black Radical Congress - Mumia Abu-Jamal News/Info/Discussion