WB and IMF

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed May 24 15:55:26 PDT 2000

Doug,

I am curious. Please give some examples of nasty adjustment loans the WB has been involved in. I am seriously curious. It may be that the Metzler Commission is right about this aspect: make the WB go back to its original function.

I don't think the WB can be held responsible for the fact that global income distribution has become more unequal. Most of its efforts have been directed at raising incomes in poorer countries. These may not have been as successful as most would like, but unless one can show that they actually worsened the situations of those countries, I don't think the WB can be held responsible for the more general outcome. I do think the IMF can be held so responsible, at least to some extent.

BTW, the best study on global income inequality was put out by a WB staffer, as you know, Branko Milanovic (we should probably keep our voices down so that he does not get fired...!!!).

I agree that Daly resigned out of frustration. As for Stiglitz, he did resign, but I gather it was under pressure that ultimately came from Summers. But, I gather you know more about this matter than I do. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Wednesday, May 24, 2000 4:47 PM Subject: Re: WB and IMF