Fwd: China Issues

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 25 09:38:18 PDT 2000

X-From_: LeoCasey at aol.com Wed May 24 22:05:03 2000 From: LeoCasey at aol.com Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 22:04:47 EDT Subject: China Issues To: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> MIME-Version: 1.0

Doug:

The response to my post on Chinese education, which was reproduced on your list, has been brought to my attention. A correction should be noted.

>> The Yuan and US dollar equivalent amounts in this article are thoroughly
wrong. Or the Yuan has undergone massive revaluations in multiples of ten that are not being reported anywhere? (!). <<

That was an error of mine. I had the dollar sums in my notes, but I calculated the yuan amounts wrong off the dollars. The $ 65 translates approximately 500 yuan, and the $ 200 translates to approximately 1600 yuan.

As well, your list may find the longer, general post I did following my trip to China to be of some interest. It is included as an attached file in Word Perfect format.

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightening. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --