WB and IMF

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu May 25 13:10:44 PDT 2000

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr wrote:

> But, there is also a lot of support for infrastructure
>rebuilding after disasters and in quite a few cases,
>support for maintaining social safety nets. It does not
>all look so bad to me.

Borrowing money after a disaster, well I guess there are worse things than that. But borrowing to support a social safety net seems demented to me - kind of like what New York City was said to have done in the run-up to its mid-70s fiscal crisis (though Bob Fitch says the city was borrowing to support real estate devlopment schemes, not its poor).

Doug