Cooper on SUVs

John Kawakami johnk at cyberjava.com
Fri May 26 00:04:50 PDT 2000

>Jordan Hayes wrote:
>
>>I think that's true. But I don't think it's the perceptions that
>>are screwed up, it's just that people who are at the $100k/year
>>level typically are trying to live a $150k/year lifestyle, so they
>>have a crushing mortgage and have given themselves goals that are
>>slightly out of their reach and so they don't feel "wealthy" ...
>>and they aren't! Yes, they have a lifestyle that's unattainable
>>on $30k (at least for long :-), but no: they are not wealthy.
>
>I was in a laundromat in Bedford-Stuyvesant - one of the poorer
neighborhoods of Brooklyn, even though the New York Times says it's up & coming, gentrification-wise - yesterday morning. The Today show was on the TV, and there was a segment featuring eligible Silicon Valley millionaire bachelors. The manager of the laundromat, a woman with a Caribbean accent, said to the crowd, "I'd never want to marry a millionaire." One of the customers - male - asked her, "Why not?" She said, "They have more problems than poor people. The more money you have, the more problems you have." The guy said, "Yeah, when I was unemployed, I never had any bills. Then I got a job, and now it's nothing but bills. Credit cards, those are the worst. They just suck you in with credit cards." I know it's dangerous to generalize about class consciousness in America from two data points, but it's mighty tempting.

>Later in the conversation, the laundromat manager said Bill Gates
wasn't a bad guy because he gives away money - unlike Donald Trump, who just takes & takes.

>Doug

Well, it hurts less when you rationalize it like that.

It's not true at all. Poverty sucks. It is not good. Money can suck too, because, like it or not, money is like a tentacle that reaches out and entagles you into various financial affairs. These things take time and effort, and are a hassle. Poverty has its own hassles, like waiting for the bus, lining up for payday, lousy hours, etc, but the fact that they're out of your control might make them seem more acceptable.

And, if you have very little hope of making it out of your situation, you have to tell yourself things to make life easier.

(The rich do it all the time. It's called racism. :)