WB and IMF

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri May 26 12:20:31 PDT 2000

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr wrote:

> With respect to the debt issue, it is not my impression
>that any of these countries have gotten into serious debt
>problems because of WB loans. Can you name one ever?
>It is the private banking sector loans that have gone along
>with these that have been the problem usually.

Barkley, why do you insist on implying that I or anyone like me thinks the WB is the sole guilty party? It's the lead dog of the development establishment, but it has plenty of comrades.

By the way, the Meltzer commish report does have some stirring passages on how WB lending is a subsidy to private capital. Excellent reading.

Doug