China 'Short-term pain, long-term gain'

Pacitti, Aaron (CAP, PTL) Aaron.Pacitti at penske.com
Fri May 26 13:47:43 PDT 2000

Might anyone out there have any info on the "short-term pain, long-term gain" argument?

That is, if you take the conventional argument at face value: just do what we (IMF/WB/Treas.) say today - privatize, export, etc. It might be miserable for a while, but eventually you will reap the rewards and become developed.

Is there any empirical evidence of countries witnessing the long-term gains that go along with development? And what are those gains (if there were any at all).

Quick point of clarification, I mean gains for non-elites. Suharto and others did pretty well with the loans, but did the country/economy/people?

Thanks, Aaron