No Megalomania in Capitalism (was Re: seth & defusingkoreatensions)

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed May 31 11:33:23 PDT 2000

Yoshie,

On the one hand they were better equipped and had more support from outsiders (USSR and PRC, off and on, oscillating between the two). OTOH, now they are more desperate, especially given the disappearance of the outside support.

No, I am not forecasting any such invasion. What is more striking about all that muscle-bound military, if weak underneath, is what a drain it must be on the pathetic economy.

There have been some recent moves to "capitalist roading" in the DPRK. But it remains the case that even now the DPRK as a system looks more like a pure version of the classic Stalinist model than did even any regime in the world in the late 1980s, with the possible exception of Albania.

Another factor that would/will make any move to (re)unification extremely difficult is the reportedly extreme isolation of the North Koreans who simply do not know what is going on in South Korea, much less the rest of the world. At least the East Germans could watch West German TV and had a much better idea, if somewhat distorted, of what they were dealing with and what to expect. The gap was nowhere near as great as it is in Korea. And they still have not resolved all the problems in Germany (and maybe never will). Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, May 30, 2000 7:17 PM Subject: Re: No Megalomania in Capitalism (was Re: seth & defusingkoreatensions)