some stories about Eric Hobsbawm

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 02:32:03 PST 2000

In message <p05001910b6258e68b3b2@[140.254.114.155]>, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes
>Your story tempts me to posit an
>unholy Hegelian dialectic of "Popular Front Nationalism" and "New
>Labour Cosmopolitanism." In both the thesis & the antithesis in this
>dialectic, imperialism tends to disappear from our sight.

As I remember it Gregor Maclennan's article on the CP Historians Group was making the point that people's history recuperated patriotism in a popular form, citing Hill's article 'The Norman Yoke' in which he celebrates the strand of radicalism that sees the ruling class as essentially foreign and unpatriotic.

Maclennan was a structuralist, one of those that Thompson effectively demolished in his Poverty of Theory (?). But waspish as Maclennan's criticisms are, he has a point. The long march of labour was a refracted version of the Whig history that saw Britain's past as a progressive march towards democratic political institutions. -- James Heartfield