Ralph the Leninist

Roger Odisio rodisio at igc.org
Wed Nov 1 09:18:27 PST 2000

Max Sawicky wrote:

> > [The piece raises two questions: 1) Is this really Ralph's strategy? and
> 2)
> > Is it correct?]
>
> No and no.
>
> I noted before the difference between saying Bush and Gore
> are the same and a "worse the better" posture.
>
> There should be no surprise at the idea that a goal of the
> Greens/Nader would be to destroy the Dems. That's the
> only way they would come to equal the major parties in
> prominence.
>
> Of course, when you provide competitive pressure on
> another party, they adapt to meet that threat. So the
> 'threat' to the Dems is as much a threat to make them
> change as it is to replace them. THAT'S THE ONLY
> WAY YOU APPLY CREDIBLE PRESSURE. By
> contrast, we can all see how Jesse's periodic fits
> have worn completely thin. No threat, no pressure.

Agreed Max. Except that makes the answers to the original questions yes and yes. Separate Nader's purpose--to replace the Dems--from what Weisburg claims are the likely results, e.g., the spectre of a Repug form of Naziism, etc. Nader has the right goal. Weisburg just adds a lot of hot air about it.

Actually, destroying the Dems is the longer range goal. More immediate is, and Weisburg has this right too, the "transformation of human consciousness". Nader is trying to change the terms of public discussion--both during this election and beyond--to both focus on real issues and offer a different perspective on those things elites deign to discuss. Also vital and correct. Note to ChuckO: this is *one* of the ways that Seattle, etc. must be followed up if it is to mean anything, if it is to challenge power, and not merely tweak it. You should (gasp) vote for Nader for that reason. The Repugs as the party of capital will always exist as long as capital does. The Dems must be replaced with a voice for the rest of us (a voice not, of course, confined to the electoral process or even politics as we know it). As more people grasp what is going on, even you will make more sense to them, Chuck.

I'm going to vote for Nader and I haven't voted in a general election since McGovern in '72.

RO