my last word on guns in Amerika

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 1 07:15:09 PST 2000

At 10:57 PM 10/31/00 +0000, jordan wrote:
>> Come to think of it, planes are also aesthetically unpleasing &
>> ergonomically incorrect. Besides, flying makes my ears ache.
>
>But they are fast!

It depends on the distance. They are surely faster in trans-or intercontinental travel, but not necessarily so between major cities on the east coast or western europe. For example, the metroliner service between dc and new york runs in about 3 hrs and could go even faster if the people who call themselves the government invested more in it. A flight between these two points is less than an hour - but and that is a really big BUT - if you add the time of getting to the airport, checking in, waiting for the takeoff, checking out, getting from the airport, it will take you at least 3 hrs if not more. Not to mention traveling in civilised conditions vs being subjected to all kinds of searches, not being allowed to carry your weapon :), and being packed like a sardine.

wojtek