Allies against fascism?

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Wed Nov 1 08:22:32 PST 2000

G'day Justin,

>ALthough the Eastern Front is my front in WWII, I will say that downgrading
>the importance of the Second Front is not a view that was shared by the
>Soviets at the time!

Well, I wasn't downgrading it; just recasting it. And the Sovites had been begging for the invasion for two years - neither Chirchill nor Roosevelt thought it conceivable before Kursk took out most of Germany's armour and thereafter absorbed all her reserves (they literally lost thousands of tanks at Kursk - the scale of the carnage is beyond imagination, I think). Sure, the invasion helped the Soviets (to whom I'm sure it still mattered a fair bit), it just didn't decide whether Germany would win or not. That, I reckon, was decided at Kursk (if we must choose a single engagement). And of course the Italian and western fronts were horrible - fewer soldiers involved, but commensurable per capita agonies, I'm sure.

I think British and American strategy after they got through at Falaise Gap was as much concerned with the implications of the Russian advance as it was with the immediate challenges mounted by the Germans. Might even explain the extremely ambitious Operation Market Garden episode - a nice idea rather ruined by excessively impatient territorial ambition (hence that rather boring war flick 'A Bridge Too Far').

Cheers, Rob.

Until D-Day, all Stalin and Molotov could talk about