Ralph the Leninist

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Wed Nov 1 12:22:32 PST 2000

Chuck0 <chuck at tao.ca>:
> >Perhaps Nader supporters should take solace in the
> >fact that Naders campaign has put so many limousine liberals and
> >progressives on the defensive. I'd be on the defensive too, if I wrote
> >for a magazine that held fund-raising cruises and had its own credit
> >card.

Carl Remick:
> Which reminds me of a great line from Alexander Cockburn's column in the
> current NY Press: "When [Gloria] Steinem, of all people, veteran of many a
> poverty march through the stores of Madison Avenue with whatever millionaire
> real estate developer or kindred entrepreneur she happens to have in tow at
> the time, wags her finger at Greens and tells them that poor people don't
> have the luxury of voting for Nader, somehow the call lacks credibility."

I don't see any reason for Ralphistas to be annoyed with all these attacks. No press is bad press; that which is visible is votable. Moreover, visibility is a kind of legitimation -- the issues which Nader was trying to raise and which Gore and Bush wanted effaced have now come out in the open to some extent. Nader supporters should commend Gore for engaging their man -- this _is_ what they wanted him to do from the beginning -- and thank NARAL for what I think is a significant publicity effort -- one and a half million is a nifty sum.