Survivor!

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 2 07:10:29 PST 2000

kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca wrote:

> Of course, this
> typically masculinist criticism, which is nothing less than compuslive and
> obsessive, is surely a displacement and a projection, isn't it?

Not at all. The difficulty is that even if this is true it does not explain anything. For if we find that X is a displacement (whatever that might be) of Y we have only raised the question of why X should displace Y instead of Z. All psychological explanations set in motion and infinite regress. Hence it doesn't matter to anyone or anything whether such explanations are true because they aren't explanations. And how can that which is not an explanation be an explanation of something? It is like asking if a hammer makes a good ice cream cone.

Carrol