anti-Ralph petition

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 2 12:10:45 PST 2000

The folk singer Sarah Ogan Gunning did a song in the 30s called "I Hate the Capitalist System." When it was collected around then, the musicologist said, why don't you sing it, "I Hate the Company Bosses." Gunning said, well, I hate them too, and sang it that way. Twenty years later Barbara Dane came around to record the song again. This time Gunning insisted on doing it the original way. "I had twenty years to think on it," she said, "And I was right the first time around." Dane herself did a record with the song as the title song. --jks