anti-Ralph petition [reply to Doug & Max & RO...and CB too]

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Nov 2 15:56:30 PST 2000

Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

>Being anti-corporate is a way of
>talking that allows others to come at the problem of capital in a way
>that's non-threatening as a first step.

Yup, as long as it's a first step. But lots of anti-corporate types seem not to take the second step. (I'm mystified by what they would hold up as an alternative to the corporate form.) We village atheists have to push them a bit to take the second step.

Liza Featherstone ended her student activism piece in the Nation with this:

>It's impossible not to feel at least cautiously optimistic about
>this crew. "We are training an entire generation to think
>differently about" -- pause -- "capitalism," says Laurie Kimmington
>of Yale's Student-Labor Action Coalition. She glances at my
>notebook, and at the STARC activists across the café table and
>giggles cheerfully. "Oops, maybe I shouldn't say that."

But she said it.

Doug