anti-Ralph petition [reply to Doug & Max & RO...and CB too]

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Thu Nov 2 17:37:03 PST 2000

>>Yup, as long as it's a first step. But lots of anti-corporate types

seem not to take the second step. (I'm mystified by what they would

hold up as an alternative to the corporate form.) We village atheists

have to push them a bit to take the second step.

***************

Hey, Engel's didn't know how to solve enterprise governance issues either [see "On Authority" where he pokes fun at the Proudhonians]. Clearly a lot of work needs to be done on this. Getting Global Exchange to do Reality Tours to Mondragon would be a cool first step [ I know the place has got problems but still...]. We village atheists should be ENTICING, taking our cue from everything we hate about Trot communication skills.

Me, I'm trying to get insights from Diane Elson's piece in SR 2000, Iris Marion Young's Justice and the Politics of Difference, Graham and Gibson's The End of Capitalism as we Knew It [esp. ch. 8] Alan Gewirth's chapters on economic democracy in The Community of Rights [Justin, I see your name in the "thanks" section], old G & B and everything I learned being a wage slave at a huge MNC. Gobs of corporate law deconstruction helps too [especially if you're an insomniac]

>>Liza Featherstone ended her student activism piece in the Nation

with this:

>It's impossible not to feel at least cautiously optimistic about

>this crew. "We are training an entire generation to think

>differently about" -- pause -- "capitalism," says Laurie Kimmington

>of Yale's Student-Labor Action Coalition. She glances at my

>notebook, and at the STARC activists across the café table and

>giggles cheerfully. "Oops, maybe I shouldn't say that."

But she said it.

Doug *************** Very strategic use of irony :-)!. That's why economic democracy works well with people. Democracy is like mom, baseball and brussel sprouts and everyone knows it's dyin' the death of a thousand campaign contributions and Schumpeterian competitive elitism. When you tell 'em we don't have political democracy because we don't have economic democracy and you can relate that to what goes in their workplace, the bells go off and the dendrites crackle...

Ian