Yucky subject, scion of (no subject)

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Sat Nov 4 07:04:35 PST 2000

LeoCasey at aol.com wrote:

> A few women do play the game, but -- like gang banging -- it remains
> every bit a characteristically male adolescent piece of "rebellion"
> even with that female presence. The Rolling Stones did not call
> the song "Street Fighting People" for good reason. We could
> discuss what it is that makes such cultural rituals so
> characteristically male adolescent, but the fact that they are so,
> is, I believe, quite clear.

You know Leo, I'm often put-off by fairly sophisticated folks using concepts as blunt instruments, but I pass it off generally as their reluctance to pick through their morning vomit resulting from that day's news and comments.

Expressions of political enthusiasm and direct action protest are somehow equated with male gang-banging? I mean there's probably a gendered angle to political activity, but it ain't this. I mean really, is context a complete mystery to you?

I share, perhaps, your discomfort with protest rallies, but then again I don't like to dance; neither of which I'm particularly anxious to brag about.

Dennis Breslin