words

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Sat Nov 4 19:19:27 PST 2000

On Sat, 4 Nov 2000, Doug Henwood wrote:

> >reading, the global is itself partial, albeit strategic. The global
> >cannot (at least for now) fully encompass the lived experience of
> >actors or the domain of institutional orders and cultural
> >formations;

Sure it does. Play Half Life, watch Evangelion, turn on the TV, cruise Nokia's website and you will see/hear/experience the digital sound and fury of the global. Global works of art are microcosms of the totality: they contain neocolonial resistances from every level of the world-system. I think the author is trying to say, the global as defined by *capital* doesn't correspond to our experience as wage-slaves therein. But then you'd have to read, you know, that obscure German dude with the beard.

-- Dennis