words

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Sat Nov 4 20:55:08 PST 2000

My first guess was Anthony Giddens - structuration, temporalities, spatialities - clear giveaways. But someone cited Sassen with citations, oh well.

Structuration is great theory but hard to pin down. Its strength lies in blurring the causal chain - its all mutual, its all interative. Small Local inteacts with Big Faraway and each are separate and incomplete now without the other. It's great, with the usual genuflections to Marx and the French.

The ad line for that PBS show, Marketplace, says it much better, I think.

Dennis Breslin