Gore v. Bush; there is a difference

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Sat Nov 4 20:39:11 PST 2000

Ok, but I can't buy the Democrats as being a more effective capitalist tool than, uh, the other side. The functionalist argument seems to pat. I don't really know what the Democrats wanted, but I agree they got 'em. That is, a single-payer health plan seem to come out of nowhere - Clinton chose that issue with no intent on pushing such a system through, which explains his weak defense when the insurance industry vomitted all over him. Where Democrats have long had to show they were tough on Communism, there's a related fear that they won't be seen as too soft on social welfare. Its why Johnson never intended his anti-poverty program to include extended cash assistance or job programs.

I doubt Dukakis preferred to lose. But I won't quibble on why he lost. The neoliberalism of Dukakis blunted his understanding of democracy...or at least American electoral politics. Too much policy tweaking, administrative engineering, good feel for facts and figures, but making a mass appeal, skilled marketing, or raising populist hell was foreign to him. Clinton indeed goofed he was savvy enough to keep on morfing that got him what he wanted, the political leverage to do the little he intended.

Dennis Breslin