Gore v. Bush; there is a difference

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sat Nov 4 17:11:47 PST 2000

> One has to be aware of who was in Congress.
> Thus, Gerry Ford had the post-Watergate, relatively
> progressive Congress elected in 1974. Since 1994

yeah but Bush Senior came much later, and compared well to Clinton in the metric I cited.

> the Repugs have been running the show in Congress,
> although Clinton early on decided against a major
> domestic spending push, despite having campaigned
> for one. Perhaps spending would have gone up if he
> (and Hillary) had gotten it together on health care. The
> lost opportunity for single payer then is one of the biggest
> domestic goofs that Clinton had.
> Barkley Rosser

One of the many perversities of the Hillary plan was its accounting -- the new health care thingies were classified as non-governmental, and their revenues & outlays were not "taxes" or "government spending." This is a tip-off to how bad ideology leads to bad program and unsuccessful politics.

mbs