An Ode To Douglass, Not Doug

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Nov 5 13:08:29 PST 2000

Gregory Geboski wrote:

>Say, I've never heard Douglass and John Brown put in contrast like
>this before. I understood that Douglass always admired Brown (if not
>always agreeing with him), that he himself briefly considered going
>on the Harper's Ferry raid, and that he considered this act of
>"self-contented, suicidal righteousness" a feat of heroism that
>helped the great cause. Or am I missing something?

If you ever want a good union staff job, you have to understand that "power concedes nothing without a demand" means "Vote for Gore," that protecting Starbucks windows from breakage by rude youth is a feminist imperative, and that no union top should ever appear on a speakers' platform with "avowed Communists."

Doug