What Do Unions Get for Helping Dems?

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Mon Nov 6 01:39:09 PST 2000

I think Fitch is being a little too rough on the worthies he mentions in this story.

One of my favorite international labor leaders has been publically asking, "what would Jesus do?" Not that there is anything wrong with this type of logic, but, as Christ said, give to Ceaser the things that are Ceaser's and to God the things that are God's. I think a more productive question that he and others should be asking is what would John L. Lewis, Phil Murray or any of the other great old CIO worthies do?

There is another problem here related more to the story. That is the role of these so-called professionals in political action and other union business. It's pretty damn hard to get back to basics---when you don't know what the basics are in the first place!

Tom