What Do Unions Get for Helping Dems?

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Sun Nov 5 21:05:19 PST 2000

Brad De Long wrote:
> Look: I never said that the Clinton White House had phenomenal
> political instincts. I never even said that they are competent. But
> (with the exception of Bruce Reed) the people around Clinton-Gore
> were *not* the neoliberal trolls you imagine.

Perhaps you're right. Then again, I suspect that by the early 1990s, the neoliberals were a decade or so into their career trajectories. What they left in their wake were narrowed political expectations, policy wonkism as political activism, and the economic foundations of a centrist agenda. Add to that an Elvis impersonator to woo the crowd and a ton of money from wall street to finance the show. Find whoever were the trolls and do a DNA check.

> *We* live in the Treasury.

And everything else is pretty much epiphenomenal.

Dennis Breslin