Why I Decided Not To Vote For Nader In A 'Safe' State, And How LBO-Talk Helped

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Nov 6 08:05:17 PST 2000

Lisa & Ian Murray wrote:

> Chuck0>> I got more news for you, Leo. The resurgent right is dying. A Bush
> victory is not going to revive them. They can't overcome the forces of
> liberalization in American society. The right wind bugaboo is dead. Just
> go do your research and you'll find out for yourself.
>
> *******
>
> This brings up a real interesting long term issue; age. Does anybody know
> the median age of all the non-voters over the last 7 elections? Has the age
> spread spread "wider". Did the twenty something's who didn't vote for Ford
> still not vote today? The right was always old geezers from what I could
> see, reaching out to a larger share of a shrinking pie of suckers. If
> present non-voting growth trends continue, how long will it be before, say,
> only 15-20% of the US electorate votes. An anti-statist left would have much
> greater maneuvering room if this were to occur over the next 30 years. Of
> course, rethinking institutions would also have to occur lest the tyranny of
> structurelessness bites us all in the arse.....

Well, if there was encouraging thing that I gleaned from doing my anti-voting picket at the Nader rally yesterday, is that there are many young people who are interested in not just the Green Party, but in radical politics. I already work with many young people so I kind of know that, but it's encouraging to see another example of this.

Now we just need to start reaching the other generations.

The one exception yesterday was a young woman who walked past me with a Gore button on her jacket and this smug look on her face. She won't be smiling come Wednesday.

Chuck0