W. & Hoover Hogs

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Mon Nov 6 10:08:58 PST 2000

>From the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette opinions page:

You could eat Hoover hogs

If you like "Hoover hogs," vote for George W. Bush. I'm sure that some of you never heard of Hoover hogs, so ask your grandparents what they are. In case they don't know, I will enlighten you.

In 1928, the Republican candidate for president was Herbert Hoover. He encouraged everyone to invest their money in the stock market, just like Bush is telling you about your Social Security. After Wall Street got all the money, all the investors had was a piece of paper. Then the banks all closed. The result was no work, and the people couldn't buy food with their piece of paper, so they ended up eating "Hoover hogs" to keep their families from starving. A Hoover hog is a jackrabbit, and you had to be lucky enough to catch one. The rest of the people went to big government for something to eat. Vote for Bush and eat Hoover hogs for the next four years.

SAMUEL A. HONSE

Mena, AR

-- Marta Russell http://disweb.org/