Sarah Jessica Parker pressed into service

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Nov 6 10:50:20 PST 2000

>[I asked Katha Pollitt to comment on the Stenberg thread.]
>
>Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 19:04:21 +0000
>From: Katha Pollitt <kpollitt at thenation.com>
>To: dhenwood at panix.com
>Subject: [Fwd: Fwd: Re: Sarah Jessica Parker pressed into service]
>
>Hi Doug -- you can post this if you like
<snip>
> It is true that Gore and Clinton have both said they would sign
>partial-birth bans that included a health exception. The lack of a
>health exception is the sticking point and it is not a trivial detail
>(that is, unless you are a man who will never need this particular
>procedure).

It is true that a health exception is not a trivial detail, for once a health exception is allowed, it can be _very broadly_ interpreted, so much so that the "ban" may come to naught.

That said, elections are only a minuscule part of politics, and we need to win in the court of public opinions & (more importantly) mobilizations; otherwise, _access_ to abortion _will_ continue to erode, regardless of whoever will be in the White House. I wish that the NARAL, etc. had challenged Nader & the Green Party & extracted a promise that they _will_ mobilize manpower on this issue, instead of trying to scare potential Nader/Green supporters into voting for Gore.

Yoshie