Sarah Jessica Parker pressed into service

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 6 11:58:18 PST 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>That said, elections are only a minuscule part of politics, and we
>need to win in the court of public opinions & (more importantly)
>mobilizations; otherwise, _access_ to abortion _will_ continue to
>erode, regardless of whoever will be in the White House. I wish
>that the NARAL, etc. had challenged Nader & the Green Party &
>extracted a promise that they _will_ mobilize manpower on this
>issue, instead of trying to scare potential Nader/Green supporters
>into voting for Gore.

Yes, absolutely. The liberal anguish over Court appointments seems symptomatic of their reliance on elite instiutions - what Adolph Reed scornfully refers to as the strategy of getting all the smart people together on the Vineyard to work out a plan - rather than popular mobilization. It's public opinion and the mobilization of activists that really matter; it's kind of sad to rely on a bunch of robed lifetime appointees to defend a fundamental right.

Doug