Sarah Jessica Parker pressed into service

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Nov 6 15:04:02 PST 2000

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>>That said, elections are only a minuscule part of politics, and we
>>need to win in the court of public opinions & (more importantly)
>>mobilizations; otherwise, _access_ to abortion _will_ continue to
>>erode, regardless of whoever will be in the White House. I wish
>>that the NARAL, etc. had challenged Nader & the Green Party &
>>extracted a promise that they _will_ mobilize manpower on this
>>issue, instead of trying to scare potential Nader/Green supporters
>>into voting for Gore.
>
>Yes, absolutely. The liberal anguish over Court appointments seems
>symptomatic of their reliance on elite institutions - what Adolph
>Reed scornfully refers to as the strategy of getting all the smart
>people together on the Vineyard...

I am not now and I have never been on Martha's Vineyard--not even to go swimming.

But let me put in a plea for a system that would have Mary Jo Bane playing a major role in setting up our social insurance system, rather than picking someone at random or--even worse--someone who has been hypnotized by Rush Limbaugh.

I was on Michael Krasny's show on KQED last Wednesday--as the Gore economy guy. And I left thinking (a) that Michael is a genius for making his show as informative as it can be, (b) that radio is such an immensely low-bandwidth way of disseminating information, and (c) that even so we had managed to significantly inform the listeners.

Since moving to California and living under the dead hand of Howard Jarvis as magnified by the voter initiative process, I have become a lot less enamored of all forms of direct democracy--and a lot more enamored of elections as picking-smart-hard-working-people-who-approximately-share-your=-priorities...

Brad DeLong