election demographics

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Nov 6 17:06:23 PST 2000

Brad DeLong wrote:

>As you know, America's Fortune 500 CEOs want a president *far* to
>the right of Al Gore--and substantially to the right of GWB.

What's your evidence for this? My sense is that they like GWB's tax cuts. They don't like the right-wing social agenda - too divisive, and besides, advertising would be nowhere without titillating sex. They like affirmative action, even if for the wrong reasons. Right after the '94 sweep, Fortune - which, after all, counts the 500 - had a cover story worrying that the new crop of Republicans was too scarily right wing.

If the F500 wanted a president to the right of GWB, we'd probably have one.

Doug