election demographics

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Nov 7 06:46:11 PST 2000

Nathan Newman:
> Marco has nailed the pragmatic reality of the Nader campaign. It appeals to
> the true believers, while alienating everyone else - a disasterous strategy
> for any movement planning to try to build in the future and to expand.
> While a burgeoning movement does not have to gain the allegiance of the
> whole society in the beginning, deliberatly alienating the closest potential
> allies is disasterous over the longterm. Whatever goodwill the Greens had
> slowly been building at the local level has been squandered.

In other words, the Greens should not be serious about politics, because that will offend some people. It seems like silly advice, and in any case it could be made much more succinctly: "Aaah, drop dead!" I can just imagine with what enthusiasm greenies will respond to this thoughtful suggestion.

I think you're using the wrong model here, anyway.

As purveyors of ice cream, the Green Party has every prospect of being able to increase its market share up to the natural limits of whatever soc-dem sales are made in America, since their competitors have pretty much discontinued this flavor. At that point the Greens may want to consider providing more flavors or combining with other purveyors to offer a wider range of products. But first they must overcome habit, brand loyalty, conservatism and low name recognition to capture the remainder of their prospective base market.

While this looks like a very doable task under present conditions, there's always the possibility that the former soc-dem makers will temporarily reopen their soc-dem assembly line and try to win back customers with attractively packaged, artificially flavored soc-dem Lite. The Greens would then have the task of convincing the customers that only _their_ product was The Real Thing. First, though, they have to get those customers, so that habit, brand loyalty and so forth will be on their side. Given the present initial success in test markets, therefore, look for a very aggressive, no-holds- barred marketing campaign while the competition's management is still trying to make up its mind about reentering this particular marketplace.