election demographics

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Tue Nov 7 07:42:21 PST 2000

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Doug Henwood wrote:

> The lower your income, the less likely you are to vote. Either the
> abstainers are very happy with things as they are, and so leave the
> choice of our rulers to their betters, or they think the choices on
> offer suck, and it doesn't make a difference which stooge of the
> status quo wins. Which do you think it is?

How does this dichotomy deal with states where Nader and/or McReynolds is on the ballot or available as a write-in? Do you expect a significantly higher voter turnout by the poor in those states?

I'm not sure I buy the idea of a fully-informed, conscientious objector underclass. I would expect those people to be activists. It isn't just election apathy, but political apathy.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ In small proportions we just beauties see, And in short measures life may perfect be.

-Ben Johnson