election demographics

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Tue Nov 7 09:04:27 PST 2000

At 05:11 PM 11/6/00 -0800, Brad wrote:
>Think for a moment about who doesn't vote. Think for a moment about
>in whose interest it is that so many people abstain. Think about
>whose interest it is to denigrate pleas for higher participation as
>"elementary school civics."

There are no statistically significant differences in political orientation between voters and non-voters. The election results would be pretty much the same if we had 100% voter turnout. Selective mobilization of the segments of nonvoting population that are likely to vote a ceratin way is a different animal - but that is hardly "elementary school civics."

wojtek