Gramsci says: vote for Gore!

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Nov 7 13:29:02 PST 2000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin" <bauerperrin at mindspring.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

>As for Haiti, it remains one of the poorest countries in the hemisphere. A
>friend of mine came back from there a couple of months ago and simply shook
>his head in disgust. If you are trying to split the difference between two
>impoverished countries in order to say "Vote Gore!" then you truly deserve
>whatever comes your way.

I am saying that measuring left success merely by a failed movement to protect the Sandinista revolution is lousy argument for optimism for a Bush Presidency. Haiti was just a counter example. I've given my real reasons for supporting Gore- marginal gains in the labor board, court appointments, a few decent executive orders, and a few vetos. I make no strong claims for a postive gain from Gore, just a negative claim that mass movements will have a better ability to organize without the federal government in full scale legal assault on unions and other mass organizations.

But the argument is sort of irrelevant. The exit polls are coming in and it looks like Bush will win, although it will be a squeaker in a number of states. We will see if Nader is the margin of victory for Bush.

-- Nathan Newman