election demographics

Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 7 14:18:27 PST 2000

Marco Anglesio wrote:

>I don't think that that's to the Greens' credit. Perhaps every small party
>should parachute in a celebrity to gain votes? Perhaps every celebrity
>should sponsor a political party of their own?

I wouldn't call Nader a "celebrity" in the conventional sense. After all, he does have real political merit -- certainly more than the Rob Reiners and Barbra Streisands and Whoopi Goldbergs who stump for Gore. But at a deeper level, how are Gore and Bush not celebrities? He hear their names and see their faces more than we do Kate Hudson's. National politics are not immune to commercialization, especially when it comes to the "branding" of the "product." I suggest you rent "Face in the Crowd" with Andy Griffith and see how old (recent?) this practice is.

DP