voter turnout

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Tue Nov 7 15:28:16 PST 2000

``But the argument is sort of irrelevant. The exit polls are coming in and it looks like Bush will win, although it will be a squeaker in a number of states. We will see if Nader is the margin of victory for Bush.'' (Nathan Newman)

``I have little optimism no matter who wins. It will be a struggle, no doubt about it.'' (DP)

``...turnout in Tampa Bay which is high compared to the last pres. election. turnout among first time voters/young people is up too, acc to exit polls.'' (kelley)

The polls were already jammed by ten-thirty this morning in my precinct. That may not mean much since it's Berkeley south campus, but it seems to me that turn out was a lot heavier here than usual. The local city council has taken to putting every minor fiscal issue on the ballot to get around the old prop 13 Jarvis fix, so there were twenty-two local city and county measures like: ``Should the city repair the city parks; the city was authorized to fix up the library, can we now spend the money, etc, etc?''

Chuck Grimes