tergiversation

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 7 15:35:40 PST 2000

Nancy Bauer/Dennis Perrin wrote:

>The real action in the YAF took place in 1968-70, when the group split into
>conservative and libertarian wings. At the YAF national convention in St.
>Louis in '69, the libertarians shocked the conservatives by burning their
>draft cards and shouting "Laissez Faire! Laissez Faire!" The conservatives
>responded with "Lazy Fairies! Lazy Fairies!" Karl Hess, symbolic leader of
>the lib-wing and former Goldwater speechwriter, challenged William F.
>Buckley to a debate, which the crypto-Nazi declined. I believe some of the
>dissident YAFers went on to start the Libertarian Party, but that wing of
>politics spread so far out that I couldn't really say.

The big split in the Yale Party of the Right in 1971-2 was between the traditionalists and the libertarians. Some of the more extreme trads were Anglophilic monarchists, though a Tory party founded a year or two earlier was drawing off some of those. The libertarians ranged from Randian goldbugs to gun-toting speed-makers, with a few Friedmanites & Hayekians between. Bill Buckley and later Ronald Reagan appealed to both these camps, never explaining how trad vals was supposed to survive a bout with competitive markets.

Doug