The Stakes of the Elections

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 8 08:57:42 PST 2000

>From: LeoCasey at aol.com
>
>I have the same sense about your analysis of education. That these battles
>could end with widespread vouchers and massive privatization is clearly a
>distinct possibility; if it wasn't, there wouldn't be a battle.

[There's certainly good news on that front, assuming that the following item, from today's Salon, is still accurate.]

California voters reject vouchers

Silicon Valley venture capitalist Tim Draper spent more than $20 million in support of the most radical voucher proposal ever -- and lost.

By Katharine Mieszkowski

Nov. 08, 2000 | What can $20 million buy a prominent Silicon Valley venture capitalist in this election? A humiliating defeat.

California voters appear to have flunked a school voucher initiative that would have allotted $4,000 to students electing to attend private or parochial schools. The voucher campaign was funded by Tim Draper of Draper Fisher Jurvetson with more than $20 million from his own fortune and from his family, friends and business associates.

With 26 percent of the votes counted, 70 percent of Californians were rejecting the measure and CNN had projected the initiative's eventual defeat.

[end]

Carl