more from Katha

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 8 10:22:31 PST 2000

At 09:50 AM 11/8/00 -0800, Ian wrote:
>corporate $$$. Seems to be a vicious feedback loop, no? Small may not be
>beautiful, but bigness doesn't win any beauty contests either, especially
>when it comes to the enabling of liberty and democratically driven
>collective action.

You do not seriously believe that you can replace complex bureaucracies with a bunch of mom-n-pops shops and hippie comunes, do you? If you do, I wish I had some of that stuff you've been inhaling.

While the existing corporations may be less than exemplary, to say the least, they are so because they are run by pigs not because they are forced to wallow in shit by the 'markets.' But the complex organization espouses the idea of economic planning - and that is a very good idea from the progressive point of view. It so happened that such planning is currently done to benefit rather narrow interests - but there is nothing that would prohibit corporate planning working for the interest of general public. Achieving that seems to me a more reasonable political objective than smashing Starbuck's windows and openinng tofu cooperatives.

wojtek