election demographics

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 8 11:23:13 PST 2000

At 01:35 PM 11/8/00 -0500, Barkley wrote:
> The last stories in the Washington Post on the
>Virginia senate race (won by Allen over Robb,
>52-48, an outcome that may give control of the
>Senate to the Repugs) was that suburban married
>women agreed with Robb on abortion and gun
>control, but thought Allen was more personable
>and in tune with "family values."
> This would seem to sum up the paradox.

Barkley:

That sums up my opinion, expressed time and again on this forum, that voting is not a rational utlity maximization behavior, but a ritualistic response to uncertainty: going with what sounds familiar and in tune with what's considered right and proper. It is like going to church on a Sunday - people may not agree with the theology but they go anyway because it is the proper thing to do.

wojtek