election demographics

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed Nov 8 10:35:32 PST 2000

The last stories in the Washington Post on the Virginia senate race (won by Allen over Robb, 52-48, an outcome that may give control of the Senate to the Repugs) was that suburban married women agreed with Robb on abortion and gun control, but thought Allen was more personable and in tune with "family values."

This would seem to sum up the paradox. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Dennis Breslin <dbreslin at ctol.net> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 1:12 PM Subject: Re: election demographics

>Justin Schwartz wrote:
>>
>> I don't believe the stuff about the "right turn" in the electorate. I
have
>> been persuaded by the poll data ana analysis presented by Rogers and
>> Ferguson, which attacks the idea that the electorate has become more
>> conservative. On balance, this isn't so. The electorate we have is more
>> liberal on race, gender, and even gay and lesbian issues that the
>> electorates that put Kennedy and Johnson in office; and when asked
questions
>> about concrete policy options, it supports a broadly liberal New
Deal/Great