election demographics

B. Deutsch ennead at teleport.com
Wed Nov 8 13:42:34 PST 2000

Considering the numbers, I think Nader probably did throw it to Gore in Florida; as Brad has convinced me, only one in 40 would have been enough.

Nonetheless, I maintain that it's nonsense to say that CNN's national numbers can be applied to Florida or any other swing state.

And I accept no blame for this race's outcome. It's no more Nader's fault that Gore lost than it is Gore's fault that Nader didn't reach 5%. Gore lost because Gore ran an inadequate campaign and didn't convince enough voters to vote for him.

--BD

----- Original Message ----- From: "J. Barkley Rosser, Jr." <rosserjb at jmu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2000 1:03 PM Subject: Re: election demographics

: B. Deutsch,
: Guesses are cheap. The Nader people themselves
: have said that 70% of their Fla. voters would have gone
: for Gore otherwise.
: Look, I was a Nader trader and wanted to see him
: do well nationally without throwing the election to Gore.
: Those who persisted in voting for him swing in states should
: face up to the implications of what they have done and not
: shilly shally around with half-baked phoney arguments that
: are not supported by the data, especially this pathetic
: fantasy that almost none of the Florida Nader voters would
: have voted for Gore with Nader not on the ballot.
: I thought that the hard core Nader supporters on this list
: supposedly see no difference between Bush and Gore. Hey,
: Gore is killing children in Iraq!!! etc. etc. I would suggest that
: those who are now whining that they are not responsible for
: Bush being elected should stop whining and live with their
: responsibility. Let's all hope for the best (James Brown, and
: all that). But let us not have people being deluded. I live 20
: miles from the West Virginia border and an awful lot of the
: discussion on this list has had an incredible air of unreality
: about it, including what Gore would have needed to do to win.
: Barkley Rosser