Anarchist news from Ireland

Joe Black revolt.news at usa.net
Thu Nov 9 03:40:04 PST 2000

Workers Solidarity 61 is online

Issue 61 of the Irish anarchist paper Workers Solidarity is now online on the web and as a PDF file for you to print out and distribute. The contents of the latest issue are at the end of this message and articles can be accessed at http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/ws2000.html

Articles liable to be of particular interest to readers of LBO include

Space Aliens horrified by Earth An alien spacecraft surveying the earth would surely be astounded by the 'civilisation' that inhabits it. Tens of millions die every year because they lack access to basic medicine and clean water. 2.6 billion people have no access to sanitation, 2 billion have no electricity and 100 million are homeless.

Victory in Prague - IMF and World Bank closed down Amongst the protesters on the early evening of S26 the sense of victory was something you could almost pluck out of the air. We marched into the city centre led by an anarchist Samba band from Seattle and fire breathers. Locals waved from their balconies and tram drivers rang their bells as we passed

Council on the run over bin bill Resistance to the introduction to Bin charges in Dún Laoghaire Rathdown and Cork

The inflation con - demand pay increases This year's pay increase, under the Programme for Prosperity & Fairness, is 5.5%. As we go to press inflation is 6.2%, and rising. When the economy was in recession we were told to tighten our belts so that the economy could recover. Now that it is booming we are being told to accept what is actually a pay cut, in order to keep it booming.

The 'polluter pays' & the bin tax The attempt to introduce refuse charges by the Dublin area county councils has been welcomed in some quarters. It is, we are told, necessary to fund a local waste management policy, that will increase the amount of waste recycled, and reduce the amount of landfill needed.

Unions - how can the 'democratic deficit' be tackled? The leaderships see themselves as a protected elite, and many union members feel powerless to do anything about it. Rulebooks are often written in such a way as to make it as difficult as possible for ordinary members to influence how decisions are arrived at.

----

Individual articles will be posted to the Irish anarchist list ainriail over the next few days, to join this low volume list just send a mail to Lists at tao.ca with the message Subscribe ainriail

Starting with WS60 we have also made the paper available as a PDF file. This means you can print out a fully laid out copy. We encourage you to make copies and distribute them to friends, work mates, at school or at political events and gigs. The PDF file and printing instructions are at http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/wsm/pdf.html

If you live in Ireland and send us your address we will send you a bundle of the printed version of Workers Solidarity 61 for you to distribute locally. Just tell us how many you want and where you will probably be distributing them. There is a growing network of people from Cork to Derry distributing Workers Solidarity in this way. Email wsm_ireland at yahoo.com

****************************** Revolt in Ireland http://flag.blackened.net/revolt

International Anarchism http://flag.blackened.net/revolt/inter.html

____________________________________________________________________ Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1